I have always been a sea and ocean person. I reveled on the ship deck ,under the sun with the perfect breeze showering me with salty spray.The skies were enthralling, with cumulo-nimbus formations hinting at thunderstorms. And as luck would have it,we ran into a school of dolphins :)We anchored at one of the off-shore oil rigs known to be a hot-bed of fish activity, after our three hour long venture into the Mexican waters.
I caught a baby hammer head shark,which we let back into the sea.Talk about beginner's luck:P They are smooth and oily to touch in one direction and coarse,sand-papery in the other.The strength they possess is astonishing and one whack of the fin can cut and injure a person rather severely.The husband did me proud by catching several impressive snappers,red fish and the like.He is evolving into a seasoned fisherman almost,living up to the southern country life-style, me thinks :)
Our companions and friends on the boat caught heaps of other fish including speckled trout,groupers and oh..a 7.5 feet long Tiger shark! It was a spectacle to watch the elderly gentleman put up a fight for 2 hours to reel in this massive cartilaginous beast.Ministering heavy blows with a base-ball bat on the shark's head, gutting, cleaning and filling its hollow sack with ice.. was indeed a sight to behold.I do not support animal cruelty,so animal activists hold the phone before you sentence me! All I am guilty of is going deep sea fishing and witnessing routine procedures of handling big catches.
The next day we took a trip to the beachside towns of Gulfshores and Orange beach in Alabama.My weakness for white sands and blue-green clear waters is known :) To the husband's intense amusement,I went into a childish frenzy ,as all I could see were wide white expanses of white sand and jade-green ,clear waters.The Mexican Gulf was calling out to me and I spent a few good hours letting the waves wash over me.We then went to Florida Point,a scenic gem tucked away from the main beaches.The waters here were tranquil and free from waves, ranging dramatically from peacock-green to cobalt. Tanned and tired, we hit the Beau Rivage Casino in Biloxi that evening,enjoying Japanese sake at one of its famed Asian restaurants.Followed by a mean Margarita.And a sizzling brownie a la mode :D
Attaching bait(read pieces of squid,shrimp,cut fish-heads :-x) to the heavy metal reels is not one of my most favorite chore,though I support fishing as a recreational sport:P It was a highly eventful weekend laced with adventure,excitement and camaraderie:)I loved every moment of it.
5 comments:
Man! Trust me! Its always a pleasure to see you travel blogs identiti! (Not undermining the non-travel blogs though). Must say the way you describe about a place and your experience with that place is truly marvellous. As before, i actually felt that i was in the Mexican Gulf myself! N wow..it indeed is one hec of a place. Ive appreciated fishing as a sport and this one definitely goes into my travel itinerary. Curious question - How different do you feel is the mexican gulf from the carribean?
I guess geographically the waters merge.The Caribbean islands are famed for their blue waters..i felt the mexican gulf was rather jade-green.Lol not that it is such a profound distinction..but let me cruise the Caribbeans before i make statements!:)great to have my readers commenting..thanks! i missed writing.
you really gots to go down to Florida...thats where the "real" beaches are at!!!
oh and while on the subject of beaches and Florida...do not miss...St. Augustine!!
Floridah guide..well,Miami is far from here.But plan to do Pensacola,Destin etc soon!
Post a Comment